The steam locomotive 

5621

The steam locomotive 5621, with is owned by the GAR since 1978, was delivered in 1943 to the DRG (Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft) with the number 52 3504 and was in service from 30.07.1943. The constructor was Krauss-Maffei in Munich-Allach. The serial number of the locomotive is 16630. It was equipped with a cauldron from "Maschinenfabrik Esslingen" (number 4679) and coupled to a tender from "Eisenwerke Kaiserslautern" (number 213).

From 7 august 1943 to 20 february 1948 the engine was located at the "Zugförderungsstelle" (depot) Selzthal. After a restoration in the main workshop of Linz from 21 February until 9 July 1948 the locomotive was transferred to the  "Zugförderungsstelle" (depot) Linz where it was in service up to 14 February 1952. Afterwards it was domiciled in Graz, Villach, Vienna "Franz-Josef" station, Strasshof, Mürzzuschlag, Strasshof and finally from 1 june 1973 onwards at ZFL (depot) Vienna-East. Here it was removed from service at 31 December 1974

At 9 October  1978 the steam locomotive was acquired by the GAR and was transferred to the depot of Luxembourg. After the restoration by GAR members, the now "5621" called engine (according to the class 56 of the CFL) came to the "Chemin de fer des 3 Vallées (CF3V) at Mariembourg in Belgium. At this time it was not allowed to use a steam engine in Luxembourg (the same as in Germany) . From 6 September 1980 to April 1981 the 5621 hauled trains on this museum line.

The next domicile of 5621 was the "Merzig-Büschheimer" railway in Germany (Saarland) from may 1982 to October 1984. Here the engine was attended to by GAR members. In October 1984 the 5621 was taken to Luxembourg in order to be restored. A new putting into service is not projected

During the active time, 5621 hat 7 different boilers. At 10 June 1974 the locomotive was build with cauldron 16219 by the locomotive factory in Wien-Foridsdorf (last owner was locomotive 52 1591). The tender of 5621 was coupled formerly to locomotive 42 2517 and was build in 1944 by the works of RAX.

 

NEWS

Since 2004 the steam locomotive is handed over to the State of Luxembourg (Ministry of Culture). This has given the management to the association "1604 classics asbl" (= State of Luxemburg + 5519asbl + GAR asbl).